Monday, March 03, 2008

Greenwich Mean Time - I have always wanted to say that ... We took a boat from London to Greewich last weekend to go to the Royal Observatory and see "the clock by which all clocks are set" and stand astride the Prime Meridian (point of zero longitude). Here is our boat - the ride took about 45 mins. The boat had a great tour with a few funny jokes. I learned that they call Tony Blair the "Golden Bush." I also learned that the original London Bridge was purchased by an American living in Arizona. The guy had it shipped to the USA, and it now stands reconstructed in lake Havasu City, Arizona. I was fascinated by this, so one need not travel to London to see the London Bridge.... for those wanting more info on the London Bridge in Lake Havasu City http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/havasu.htm


Ethan took this great postcard quality picture of Tower Bridge on the way.

Here is a shot of Ethan on the top of the boat and then Ethan being goofy with dad.

Here it is - "the Prime Meridian of the World." Pretty cool stuff; I really enjoyed this trip, and Ethan learned a lot about clocks, time, and geography.

Here we are straddling the Prime Meridian with one foot in the Eastern and one foot in the Western Hemisphere.

3 comments:

GRANDMA said...

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT TRIP. I GUESS YOU GUYS ARE SEEING EVERYTHING YOU CAN. WHAT A GREAT LEARNING EXPERIANCE FOR ETHAN. SEE YOU SOON. LOVE MOM

Kaira said...

Hey Ethan,

Your cousins really liked the postcard you sent them. If your mom will send us your address then your cousins can send you mail too :)

Looks like you've been to fun places!

Unknown said...

Looks like you are really having a great time during your stint in the UK! It's fun being able to keep up with you. Hugs to you all! Stephanie